Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead, from a book mobile to support groups to Christmas events.
Things to do
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library Bookmobile: 9:15 to 10 a.m., Fulton; 10:30 to 11:15 a.m., Epiphany.
• The Constitution is the Solution, video lecture series, 7 p.m., Community Room, Mitchell Public Library, Mitchell.
• Bariatric Surgery for Weight Loss support group meeting, 7 p.m., Conference Room 1, Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, Mitchell.
• Christmas at the Carnegie, 7 p.m., Mitchell Barbershop Chorus and pianist Wanema Wieczorek, cash donation or bag of groceries for Mitchell Food Pantry, Carnegie Resource Center, Mitchell.
• Christmas program, 7 p.m., Faith Missionary Church, Mitchell.
• Benefits specialists from Department of Social Services’ Division of Economic Assistance available, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., itinerant office, Armour.
• Department of Human Services’ Division of Rehabilitation Services Board of Vocational Rehab quarterly board meeting, 1:15 to 5 p.m., Cedar Shore Resort, Oacoma.
• Mitchell Area Disability Peer Support Group Christmas party, 6:30 p.m., Community Room, Greenridge Apartments, Mitchell.
• Mitchell Area Neuropathy Support Group meeting, 2 p.m., Mary Lou Greenway presenting, Countryside Living Community Room, Mitchell.
• National Association of Retired Federal Employees meeting, 11:30 a.m., Marlin’s Restaurant, Mitchell.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301.
Things to remember
NARFE TO MEET THURSDAY: The National Association of Retired Federal Employees will meet at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 13, at Marlin’s, Mitchell.
OACOMA HOSTS QUARTERLY MEETING: The Department of Human Services’ Division of Rehabilitation Services Board of Vocational Rehabilitation will hold its quarterly meeting on Thursday and Friday, Dec. 13-14, at Cedar Shore Resort, Oacoma.
The group will meet from 1:15 to 5 p.m. on Thursday and will resume at 8:30 a.m. Friday and run until noon.
BLOOD DRIVE SCHEDULED AT COUNTY FAIR: LifeServe Blood Bank will hold a blood drive from 2 to 5 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 14, in the Bloodmobile at County Fair Foods, 1305 W. Havens Ave. For more information or to schedule an appointment to donate, please contact LifeServe Blood Center at 800-287-4903 or visit www.lifeservebloodcenter.org.
Mega Millions: Winning numbers drawn Tuesday: 39-44-51-52-54; Mega Ball: 13; Megaplier: 4; estimated jackpot: $27 million.
December 12 is Poinsettia Day. The flowering plant is named after Joel Roberts Poinsett, U.S. minister to Mexico, who introduced the plant to the U.S. in 1825. The “flowers” are really leaves, which, because of their arrangement on the plant, appear to be blossoms.
Today in local history
On this date in 2008, Mitchell Department of Public Safety announced the Citizens Police Academy would be held to give citizens a first-hand look at police department operations. The goal was to share information with those attending who would then share with other citizens.