Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead, from Christmas at the Carnegie to support groups to a Holiday Jam.
Things to do
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library bookmobile: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Marion.
• Holiday Jam with the Hegg Brothers, 7:30 p.m., $20 for ACT members, $25 for non-members, Pepsi-Cola Theatre, Mitchell.
• Soil health workshop, 8:30 a.m., $25 pre-registration, $35 at the door, Davison County Fairgrounds Complex, Mitchell.
• Methodist Hospital Nurses Alumni Christmas lunch, 11:30 a.m., $5, basement of United Methodist Church, Mitchell.
• Dance to the music of Veryl Hohn, 7:30 to 10:30 p.m., $4 admission, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library Bookmobile: 9:15 to 10 a.m., Fulton; 10:30 to 11:15 a.m., Epiphany.
• “The Constitution is the Solution,” video lecture series, 7 p.m., Community Room, Mitchell Public Library, Mitchell.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email email@example.com or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301.
Things to remember
SACRED CHRISTMAS MUSIC CONCERT RESCHEDULED: A concert of sacred Christmas music will be presented at 6 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 16, at First Reformed Church, Mitchell. The concert was postponed from this past weekend due to inclement weather. There will be small groups and the Senior Choir singing. A fellowship time will follow the concert.
REPUBLICANS TO MEET IN JANUARY: The Davison County Republicans will not meet in December. The next meeting will be on Jan. 10.
CARNEGIE RESOURCE CENTER CELEBRATES: Christmas at the Carnegie will be celebrated at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 13, at the Carnegie Resource Center, Mitchell. The evening will feature the Mitchell Barbershop Chorus and pianist Wanema Wieczorek. Admission is a cash donation or a bag of groceries for the Mitchell Food Pantry. Refreshments will be served.
LOCAL CHURCH HOLDS PROGRAM: A Christmas program will be at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 13, at Faith Missionary Church, Mitchell.
MADPSG CHRISTMAS PARTY SET: Mitchell Area Disability Peer Support Group Christmas Party will be at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 13, at the community room, Greenridge Apartments, Mitchell. Bring a snack to pass and your own drink, and a $4 to $5 gift to exchange for the same sex if you wish. Veryl Hohn will be playing Christmas music.
SUPPORT GROUP MEETS THURSDAY: Mitchell Area Neuropathy Support Group will meet at 2 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 13, at the Countryside Living Community Room, Mitchell. Mary Lou Greenway, registered yoga instructor will give a class on chair yoga.
BARIATRIC SURGERY GROUP TO MEET: The Bariatric Surgery for Weight Loss Support Group will meet on Thursday, Dec. 13, at 7 p.m. in Conference Room No. 1 at Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, Mitchell. Mindy Miller, RN, bariatric coordinator, will lead a discussion on “Healthy Holiday Eating.” For more information about the Bariatric Surgery for Weight Loss Support Group, please call Avera Medical Group Bariatrics at 996-5482.
There are more than 10 billion Web pages on the Internet, according to didyouknow.org.
Today in local history
On this date in 2009, it was announced that the City of Mitchell and citizen Jerry Thomsen would do a property swap, which would give the city land and a large building adjacent to the soccer complex and Thomsen scenic land, which lies across the street from his lakefront property. The city would also pay Thomsen an additional $150,000 for his land, which had a higher appraisal value than the city land.