Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead, from photos with Santa to a nativity display to a "White Christmas."
Things to do
• LifeServe Blood Center blood drive, 3 to 6 p.m., Zion Lutheran Church, Mitchell
• S.D. Telecommunications Association’s Fall Outside Plant Workshop, speaker Derric Iles, 11:15 a.m., Highland Conference Center, Mitchell
• Benefits specialists from DSS 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Itinerant office, Plankinton
• Benefits specialists from DSS, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., itinerant office, Armour
• “White Christmas,” 7:30 p.m., $12 and $14, all seats are reserved, Pepsi-Cola Theatre for the Performing Arts, Mitchell.
• Friday Night Opry, 7 p.m., SoDak Stamm Heritage Hall, Kaylor.
• Sanborn County open house and viewing of Christmas Trees, 1 to 5 p.m., Santa present from 3 to 4:30 p.m., Sanborn County Courthouse, Woonsocket.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email email@example.com or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., PO Box 1288, Mitchell, SD, 57301.
Things to remember
PHOTOS WITH SANTA PLANNED: Santa will be available for photos from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 8-9, at Cabela’s, Mitchell. Each family will receive one 4x6 photo free of charge.
VIOLIN DUO TO PERFORM: Adelfi Duet, a violin duo made up of Naomi Powers, Mitchell, and Emera Gurath, Sioux Falls, will be in concert at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 8, at Farwell Church, Dakota Discovery Museum, Mitchell.
The girls have been performing with the South Dakota Symphony for the last four years. Powers is a seventh grader and Gurath is an eighth grader.
NATIVITY DISPLAY TO BE HELD: “Christmas Creches, Goodness Gracious” display will be held from 1 to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 8-9, at Congregational UCC sanctuary, Mitchell.
The open house will feature 200 nativities from around the world. Music will be provided by Clarence Larsen and friends.
A free will donation will benefit Mitchell Food Pantry and Backpack Snack programs.
Mega Millions: 3-19-24-32-43; Megaball: 44; Megaplier, 4; No winner reported; estimated jackpot, $20 million.
Powerball: 13-17-19-27-38; Powerball, 12.
Dakota Cash: 1-14-19-32-35. Est. jackpot, $81,000
Hot Lotto: 1-5-12-21-23; Hot ball, 2.
Wild Card: 5-15-16-25-26; Wildcard, Queen of Clubs. Est. jackpot, $395,000.
A story on Page A12 of Saturday’s edition contained inaccurate information about Dr. Sandro Visani’s age when he came to the United States, the location of a hospital in Africa, and amputations he witnessed. He came to live in the United States in his late 20s; the Lacor Hospital is considered one of the best between Cape Town and Cairo; and he provided marginal assistance to amputations often caused by land mine injuries.