Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead, from Thanksgiving Eve church services to a grief support group to Bingo.
Things to do
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library bookmobile, 8:15 a.m. to 1 p.m., Hanson.
• “Get Fit While You Sit,” 2 p.m., Cancer Center lobby, Mitchell.
• Mitchell Area Human Resource Association meeting, 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m., Community Room, Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, Mitchell.
• Free grief support group meeting, 10:15 to 11:30 a.m., James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• Benefits specialists from the Department of Social Services division of economic assistance, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Wagner.
• Benefits specialists from the DSS division of economic assistance, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Howard.
• Bingo, 1 p.m., cards are $1 per card or six cards for $5, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library bookmobile, 9 to 11 a.m., Millbrook.
• Free Joint Seminar, 1:30 p.m., Community Room, Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, Mitchell.
• LifeServe Blood Center blood drive, 2 to 6 p.m., draw center at 1401 N. Main, Mitchell.
• Dakota Counseling Institute board of directors meeting, noon, Pathway, Mitchell.
• Thanksgiving Eve service, 7 p.m., First Reformed Church, Mitchell.
• Benefits specialists from the DSS division of economic assistance, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Woonsocket.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301.
Things to remember
THANKSGIVING EVE SERVICES PLANNED: A Thanksgiving Eve service will be at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 21, at First Reformed Church, Mitchell.
The church will accept boxes of macaroni and cheese and jello to fulfill its Christmas basket obligations to the Salvation Army. There will also be an offering taken with all proceeds to Reformed Church World Services East Coast recovery efforts following Hurricane Sandy.
BLOOD DRIVE TO BE HELD: LifeServe Blood Center will hold a blood drive from 2 to 6 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 23, at the Mitchell draw site, 1401 N. Main St., Mitchell.
For more information, call 800-287-4903.
AUTHOR TO SIGN BOOKS FRIDAY: Tom Roberts, South Dakota author of “Little Lost Sock,” “Night Before Christ” and “Santa’s Prayer,” will hold a book signing from 10 to 11 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 23, at the Reader’s Den, Mitchell. All proceeds from the book sales go to the Children’s Home Society.
Today is Universal Children’s Day, sponsored by the United Nations, as a time to honor children with ceremonies and festivals and to make children’s needs known to governments.
Today in local history
The Corn Palace Festival Board bid goodbye to milo as a decorating grain on the Corn Palace on this date in 2008. The dark, brown grain used to frame the murals drew birds and rained small, round seeds to the sidewalk, endangering pedestrians strolling outside the building.