Faculty, students to demonstrate iPads to Mitchell school boardMitchell Middle School teachers and students will show off their iPad skills to the Mitchell Board of Education when that body meets in regular session at 5 p.m. today at the Middle School, 800 W. 10th Ave.
By: Ross Dolan, The Daily Republic
Mitchell Middle School teachers and students will show off their iPad skills to the Mitchell Board of Education when that body meets in regular session at 5 p.m. today at the Middle School, 800 W. 10th Ave.
Middle School Principal Brad Berens said his seventh and eighth grade students are still making the transition from keyboard personal computers to tablet computers. All middle school teachers and about 400 seventh- and eighth-graders received the popular tablet computers at the start of the school year.
“Kids enjoy working with their iPads,” he said. “Some initially missed the full-size laptop, but they’re rapidly adapting to the different format.”
The iPads are proving to be quicker and more flexible than the PCs in the classroom, said Berens, which is something teachers and students hope to demonstrate on Monday.
The board will also:
• Recognize debate teacher Ron Grimsley. The National Forensic League chapter at Mitchell High School has earned the 2011- 2012 “Leading Chapter Award” from the NFL’s northern district.
• Recognize the work of Mitchell High School Yearbook adviser Deb Everson and her yearbook staff who have received an National Yearbook Program of Excellence designation from Josten’s for the 2011-2012 MHS yearbook.
• Consider approving Mitchell Technical supplemental budgets for the Farm and Business Management program.
• Approve change orders for the construction at the MTI Trades Center.
• Continue discussing results of the district report card.
• Tour the Middle School at the conclusion of the business portion of the meeting.