Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead, from a Matt Varilek visit to children's theater to Halloween to lottery numbers.
Things to do
• Kitchen Kids cooking class, 3:45 to 4:45 p.m. for third through eighth grade, $45, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• Dakota Wesleyan University Brown Bag Lunch with Democratic candidate: Matt Varilek, noon to 1 p.m., Java City, McGovern Library, DWU Campus, Mitchell.
• USPS hours reduction meeting, 5 p.m., Post Office, 31210 266th St., Ideal.
• Ballot information meeting, 8 p.m., Pony Creek Steakhouse, Parkston.
• Mitchell Area Neuropathy Support Group meeting, 2 p.m., Jessica Pickett speaking, Countryside Living Community Room, Mitchell.
• “X is for Zebra,” Children’s performance, 7:30 p.m., Pepsi-Cola Theatre, Mitchell.
• Mittens for Mitchell cutting day, 9 a.m., Timberglenn Inn, Mitchell.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email email@example.com or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., PO Box 1288, Mitchell, SD, 57301.
Things to remember
INDOOR TREATS AT LOCAL MALL: The Palace Mall Crawl, indoor trick or treating, will be held from 3 to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 27, at the Palace Mall, Mitchell.
FALL VENDOR FAIR PLANNED: Women of the Moose will host their Fall Vendor Fair from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 27, at the Lodge, Mitchell.
There will be numerous vendors available to shop and lunch will be available.
CHAMBERLAIN HOSTS HEALTH FAIR: A Community Health Fair will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 27, at the Chamberlain Armory, Chamberlain.
There will be a variety of health related booths available and there will be free flu shots available as well.
LOCAL SCOUTS TO CONDUCT FOOD DRIVE: The Scouting For food drive will be held beginning at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 27, in Mitchell.
Local Cub Scout Packs and Boy Scout Troops will collect Scouting for Food bags which were distributed earlier. Non-perishable food items for the Salvation Army food pantry and eyeglasses for the Lions Club will be accepted.
MegaMillions: Winning numbers drawn Tuesday: 1-17-42-46-55; Megaball, 1; Megaplier, 2. Est. jackpot, $21 million.
Powerball: Winning numbers drawn Wednesday: 3-18-21-23-50; Powerball, 4.
Hot Lotto: Winning numbers drawn Wednesday: 16-30-34-35-38; Hotball, 2. Est. jackpot, $4.32 million.
Dakota Cash: Winning numbers drawn Wednesday: 1-3-4-23-33. Est. jackpot, $20,000. Wild Card: Winning numbers drawn Wednesday: 4-7-15-18-28; Wildcard, Ace of Spades. Est. jackpot, $210,000.
The Anne Hathaway Cottage at Wessington Springs is the only structure in the Midwest that features a thatched roof. The cottage is styled after the original Anne Hathaway home in England.
Today in local
On this date in 2010, the tourist attractions which compliment the Corn Palace were pleased with attendance numbers for the year. Dakota Discovery Museum had an increase in visitors, although the Mitchell Prehistoric Indian Village had a slight reduction in numbers. Overall, the attractions were pleased with the season’s numbers.
A story on Page A2 of Wednesday’s edition listed an incorrect phone number for Mittens for Mitchell. The correct phone number is (605) 933-2353.