Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead, from a school carnival to a bake sale to election information.
Things to do
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library bookmobile, 8:15 a.m. to 1 p.m., Hanson.
• “Get Fit While You Sit,” 2 p.m., Cancer Center lobby, Mitchell.
• “Happy Healthy Living” Event,1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Firesteel Healthcare Center, Mitchell.
• Candidate forum for state Senate and House of Representatives for District 20, 7 p.m., Mitchell Technical Institute Technology Center, south campus, Mitchell.
• Dakota Wesleyan University Brown Bag Lunch with Republican candidate Tona Rozum, noon to 1 p.m., Java City, McGovern Library, DWU campus, Mitchell.
• Caregivers Support Group meeting, 2 p.m., Avera Queen of Peace Hospitality House, Mitchell.
• U.S. Postal Service hours reduction meeting, noon, Post Office, Alpena.
• USPS hours reduction meeting, 5:30 p.m., Post Office, Letcher.
• Mitchell Area Genealogical Society event/meeting: grave witching at 5:30 p.m., Graceland Cemetery Office; 6:30 p.m. business meeting, Carnegie Resource Center, Mitchell.
• American Association of University Women of Mitchell meeting, 6:30 p.m., program: Safehouse services, Community Room, Mitchell Public Library, Mitchell.
• Bingo, 1 p.m., $1 per card or six cards for $5, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library bookmobile, 9 to 11 a.m., Millbrook.
• Kitchen Kids cooking class, 3:45 to 4:45 p.m. for third- through eighthgraders, $45, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• Kitchen Kids cooking class, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. for second-graders and younger with parent, $75, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• LifeServe blood drive, 8:30 a.m. to noon, Bloodmobile, Walmart, Mitchell.
• DWU Brown Bag Lunch with Republican candidate Mike Vehle, noon to 1 p.m., Java City, McGovern Library, DWU Campus, Mitchell.
• USPS hours reduction meeting, 3 p.m., Post Office, Tabor.
• USPS hours reduction meeting, 5 p.m., Post Office, Olivet.
• Coacher-Goetsch American Legion Post 18 meeting, 7:30 p.m., Post Home, Mitchell.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email email@example.com or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301.
Things to remember
SPECIAL SERVICE PLANNED: Grace Baptist Church will be hosting an experienced Bible teacher, Dr. Ron Williams, in a special service at 7 p.m on Wednesday, Oct. 24, at the church, Mitchell.
The focus of the message will be the timely subject of Biblical principles of finances in today’s unstable economy. A nursery is available.
Please call the Rev. Carroll Torberson at 996-9866 or 933-0219 for further information.
FALL LUNCHEON AND BAKE SALE SCHEDULED: First Lutheran Church Women Fall Luncheon and Bake Sale will be from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 27, in the church’s Family Life Center, 411 N. Duff St.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CARNIVAL SET: L.B. Williams Elementary School carnival will be from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 27, at the school, Mitchell.
Bracelets are available for $5 for preschool through fifth grade or $7 for sixth grade and older. There will be carnival games and a raffle.
Pierre, South Dakota, is the only example of a state and capital in the U.S. that don’t share any letters.
Today in local
On this date in 2007, Mitchell Technical Institute President Chris Paustian announced his retirement, effective June 30, 2008.
Paustian had served as president of MTI for 23 years.