Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead, from a bridge game to a slew of election information to play auditions.
Things to do
• Mitchell Area Disability Support Group pumpkin carving/decorating party, costumes optional, 6:30 p.m., Greenridge Apartments community room, Mitchell.
• Kitchen Kids cooking class, 3:45 to 4:45 p.m. for third- through eighth-graders, $45, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• Mitchell Rotary Club election forum on Referred Law 14, large project development fund, 12:20 p.m., Ramada Inn, Mitchell.
• Dakota Wesleyan University Brown Bag Lunch with Republican candidate Kyle Schoenfish, noon to 1 p.m., Java City, McGovern Library, DWU campus, Mitchell.
• Open bridge, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., entry fee, $5, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• ABCs of Wellness and Stress Management workshop, noon, Community Room, Avera Queen of Peace, Mitchell.
• Benefits specialists from DSS available, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., itinerant office, Plankinton.
• Gluten Free of South Dakota meeting, 6 p.m., Sister Kathleen Bierne speaking, Conference Room 1, Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, Mitchell.
• Ballot information meeting, 10 a.m., Main Stop convenience store, Scotland.
• Ballot information meeting, 1 p.m., Corral Café, Tyndall.
• Ballot information meeting, 7:30 p.m., Golden Living Nursing Home Chapel/Activity Center meeting room, Salem.
• Meet the Candidates Forum, 7 p.m., Holiday Inn Express, Winner.
• 27th Annual Pheasant Country-Pheasants Forever Banquet and Auction, 5 p.m., Corn Palace, Mitchell.
• Girls Night Out, 4 p.m. to midnight, Highland Conference Center, Mitchell.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301.
Things to remember
KIMBALL LEGION HOSTS BREAKFAST: American Legion will serve breakfast from 7 to 11 a.m. on Saturdays, Oct. 20 and 27, and Sundays, Oct. 21 and 28, at the Legion Hall, Kimball.
Cost is $7 per person. The menu on Saturdays includes pancakes, sausage, scrambled eggs, fruit cup and drink. The menu on Sundays is biscuits and gravy, fruit cup and a drink.
DAKOTA PLAYERS AUDITIONS SCHEDULED: Auditions for the Dakota Players production, “X is for Zebra,” will be from 4 to 8 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 22, at the Pepsi-Cola Theatre, Mitchell.
The auditions are open for children grades kindergarten through eighth grade. There is no cost to participate and no pre-registration. However, you must attend the auditions on Oct. 22.
Rehearsals will be after school all week. Shows are at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, Oct. 26-27, at the Pepsi-Cola Theatre. Tickets are $5 and all seats are reserved.
The event is hosted by Area Community Theatre.
FALL LUNCHEON SCHEDULED: Women of the Moose will hold the fall luncheon at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 20, at the Moose Lodge, Mitchell.
Tickets will be available at the door. There will be door prizes, raffles and a craft and bake sale.
The South Dakota state highway system carries 68 percent of vehicle miles traveled, according to the S.D. Department of Transportation fact book for 2012-2013.
Today in local history
On this date in 2010, city voters were preparing to go to the polls to vote on a initiated ordinance which, if approved, would set aside several acres near Lake Mitchell for public use and benefit.
The measure was provoked by the news of proposed swap of city-owned land with privately owned land near the new soccer complex.