Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead
Things to do
• “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” ACT production, 7:30 p.m., reserved tickets, $10 and $12, Pepsi-Cola Theatre for the Performing Arts, Mitchell.
• Dakota Wesleyan University Blue and White Days, pep rally and burning of “W,” 9 p.m., Christen Family Wellness Center, DWU campus, Mitchell.
• The New Odyssey, 7:30 p.m., Corn Palace, Mitchell.
• Fall craft show and bake sale, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Brady Assisted Living and Bishop Hoch Villa, Mitchell.
• “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” ACT production, 7:30 p.m. reserved tickets, $10 and $12,Pepsi-Cola Theatre for the Performing Arts, Mitchell.
• DWU Blue and White Days Parade, 10:30 a.m. Main Street, Mitchell.
• DWU homecoming football game vs. Dordt, 1 p.m., Joe Quintal Field, Mitchell.
• DWU women’s soccer vs. Nebraska Wesleyan, 1 p.m., Pepsi Soccer Complex, Mitchell.
• DWU homecoming dance, 10 p.m., Sherman Center, DWU Campus, Mitchell.
• “Pretty in Pink” breast health awareness and education event, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Pony Creek Steakhouse, Parkston.
• Mitchell Lions Club Strides Run/Walk: 7 a.m. registraion, with the 5K and 10K races starting at 8 a.m., fun walk begins after race start, Northridge Park, Mitchell.
• Mitchell Area Singles dance, 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., Legion Hall, Ethan.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301.
Things to remember
ACT PRODUCTION OPENS TODAY: The ACT production “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” will be presented at 7:30 p.m. today. The other 7:30 p.m. performances will be on Saturday, Oct. 6, and Friday and Saturday, Oct. 12-13. There also will be 2 p.m. performances on Sundays Oct. 7 and 14, at the Pepsi-Cola Theatre for the Performing Arts, Mitchell.
Tickets are $10 and $12 and all seats are reserved seats.
For more information, call 996-9137
CONCERT CELEBRATES DWU HOMECOMING: A Homecoming Hymn Festival will be at 5 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 7, at the First United Methodist Church, Mitchell.
All the DWU and DWU/community choral ensembles, Wesleyan Bells and a special brass ensemble will present music.
This concert is free and open to the public.
Hot Lotto: No winners drawn Wednesday; Numbers: 6-13-29-31-35; Hot Ball: 1; Estimated jackpot: $3.1 million.
Dakota Cash: Information on Wednesday’s potential winners not available; Numbers: 6-22-27-29-30; Estimated jackpot: $20,000.
Wild Card 2: No winners drawn Wednesday; Numbers: 4-17-22-27-29, Wild Card: Queen of Diamonds; Estimated jackpot: $150,000.
Powerball: At least one winner drawn Wednesday; numbers: 17-23-36-55-59; Powerball: 10; Estimated jackpot: $40 million.
October is the 10th month in the Gregorian calendar. It received its name from the Latin numeral “octo,” meaning “eight,” because in the first Roman calendar, it was the eighth . month.
Today in local history
The Davison County Commission, on this date in 2009, began setting in motion a plan to apportion about $489,000 in road and bridge funds that should have been distributed to Davison County townships between 2000 and 2008. The error was flagged during an audit by the state auditor. Davison County Auditor Susan Kiepke said procedures established by previous administrations were followed and wondered why the apportionment error was not discovered earlier.