Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead
Things to do
• Opperman Lecture, 11 a.m., Alan Nagel, speaker, Sherman Center, DWU Campus, Mitchell.
• LifeServe Blood Center blood drive, 3 to 6 p.m., Zion Lutheran Church, Mitchell.
• CropWalk organizational meeting, 6 p.m., First United Methodist Church, Mitchell.
• Benefits specialists from Dept. of Social Services Division of Economic Assistance available, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Armour.
• Benefits specialists from Dept. of Social Services Division of Economic Assistance available, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Plankinton.
• “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” ACT production, 7:30 p.m., reserved tickets, $10 and $12, Pepsi-Cola Theatre for the Performing Arts, Mitchell.
• Dakota Wesleyan University Blue and White Days, Pep Rally and burning of “W,” 9 p.m., Christen Family Wellness Center, DWU campus, Mitchell.
• The New Odyssey, 7 p.m., Corn Palace, Mitchell.
• Fall craft show and bake sale, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Brady Assisted Living and Bishop Hoch Villa, Mitchell.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email email@example.com or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301.
Things to remember
PARKSTON HOSTS BREAST HEALTH EVENT: “Pretty in Pink” breast health awareness and education event will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 6, at Pony Creek Steakhouse, Parkston.
There will be a short program, light lunch and vendors for shopping. The event is sponsored by Avera St. Benedict Radiology Department. For more information, call 928-4415.
STRIDES RUN/WALK SCHEDULED: The Mitchell Lions Club will sponsor its annual Strides Run/Walk on Saturday, Oct. 6, at Northridge Park, located at East 11th Avenue and North Capitol (across from Mitchell High School).
Registration begins at 7 a.m., with the 5K and 10K races starting at 8 a.m. The 1.8 mile fun walk will begin after the race start. Cost for runners is $20 and cost for walkers is $10. This event is geared toward increasing diabetes awareness.
For more information, call Tracy Burggraff at 999-2033, or check out the event on Facebook at Strides Run/Walk Fundraiser for Mitchell Lions.
Mega Millions: No winners Tuesday; Numbers: 10-11-20-42-55; Mega Ball: 9; Megaplier: 4; Estimated jackpot: $36 million.
Hot Lotto: Winning numbers drawn Wednesday: 6-13-29-31-35; Hot Ball: 1; Estimated jackpot: $2.91 million.
Dakota Cash: Winning numbers drawn Wednesday: 6-22-27-29-30; Estimated jackpot: $20,000.
Wild Card 2: Winning numbers drawn Wednesday: 4-17-22-27-29, Wild Card: Queen of Diamonds; Estimated jackpot: $145,000.
Powerball: Winning numbers drawn Wednesday were not available when this edition went to press. Estimated jackpot: $50 million.
A headline on Page A1 of Wednesday’s edition incorrectly indicated that congressional candidate Matt Varilek currently owns shares in a company that he has named in criticisms of the source of Rep. Kristi Noem’s campaign donations. Varilek once owned stock in the company but sold it in 2009, as the story stated.
October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
Today in local history
On this date in 2010, Toshiba America Business Solutions celebrated 25 years in Mitchell. The business opened on Oct. 4, 1986, with 40 employees and since then expanded five times and employs 100 people.