Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead.
Things to do
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library Bookmobile, 8 to 8:15 a.m., Good Samaritan; 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Canistota.
• Former Methodist Hospital employees breakfast, 8:30 a.m., James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• Bingo, 1 p.m., $1 per card or six cards for $5, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• Happy, Healthy and Wise meeting, 8:30 a.m. registration, City Armory, Salem.
• Benefits specialists from Dept. of Social Services division of Economic Assistance available, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Wagner.
• Benefits specialists from Dept. of Social Services Division of Economic Assistance available, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Howard.
• Benefits specialists from Dept. of Social Services Division of Economic Assistance available, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Wessington Springs.
• Benefits specialists from Dept. of Social Services Division of Economic Assistance available, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Fort Thompson.
• Basic tax workshops, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Community Room, Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, Mitchell.
• American Legion Meeting, 7:30 p.m., Masonic Hall, Plankinton.
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library Bookmobile, 7:45 to 8 a.m., Leisure Living; 8 to 8:15 a.m., Golden Living Center; 8:30 to 10:15 a.m., St. Mary’s; 10:20 a.m. to 2 p.m., McCook Central; 2:05 to 2:20 p.m., Care-A-Lot.
• Mitchell Retired Army National Guard men and wives breakfast, 9 a.m., Fanny Horner’s Restaurant, Mitchell.
• Benefits specialists from Dept. of Social Services Division of Economic Assistance available, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Woonsocket.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email email@example.com or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301.
Things to remember
TAX WORKSHOPS SLATED FOR TODAY: The South Dakota Department of Revenue will host basic tax workshops for businesses in South Dakota today in the community room, Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, Mitchell.
Sales and use tax workshop will run from 9 a.m. to noon and the contractors’ excise tax workshop begins at 1 p.m. and ends at 4 p.m.
AMERICAN LEGION MEETING TODAY: The Plankinton American Legion will meet at 7:30 p.m. today at the Masonic Hall, Plankinton.
Guest for the evening is the district commander.
BUS TRIP PLANNED TO WATERTOWN: A Palace Transit bus is going to Watertown on Thursday, Oct. 4, to see the Terry Redlin Center.
Bus will depart the JVCC at 8 a.m. and is expected to return by 7 p.m.
Cost is $30 for JVCC members and $40 for non-members; you have the option of bringing your own sack lunch or purchasing a $20 lunch in a Terry Redlin keepsake tin. You must prepay to be on the list.
CROPWALK ORGANIZERS MEET: An organizational meeting for the CropWalk will be at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 4, at First United Methodist Church, Mitchell.
The Crop Walk will take place at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 20, beginning at the Farwell Church on the DWU campus.
For more information, call 996-7721.
BLOOD DRIVE SET AT LOCAL CHURCH: LifeServe Blood Bank, of Mitchell, will conduct a blood drive from 3 to 6 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 4, in the Bloodmobile at Zion Lutheran Church, Mitchell.
For more information or to schedule an appointment to donate, contact LifeServe Blood Center at (800) 287-4903 or visit lifeservebloodcenter.org.
More American presidents were born in the month of October than any other month (six). They are: 1735 — John Adams; 1822 — Rutherford B. Hayes; 1829 — Chester Arthur; 1858 — Theodore Roosevelt; 1890 — Dwight Eisenhower; 1924 — Jimmy Carter.
Today in local history
On this date in 2008, Shur-Co, a Yankton company which makes tarps, announced expansion plans in Springfield for this year. The company expected the expansion to bring as many as 30 jobs by the end of 2009.