Mitchell trailer house fire victim was 59-year-old disabled womanThe victim of a fatal Saturday morning trailer house fire in Mitchell was a 59-year-old disabled women, according to the Mitchell Department of Public Safety.
The victim of a fatal Saturday morning trailer house fire in Mitchell was a 59-year-old disabled women, according to the Mitchell Department of Public Safety.
The department issued the information in a news release Saturday night. The woman's name has not been released.
The woman’s adult daughter, infant granddaughter and an adult male escaped the fire and were taken to Avera Queen of Peace Hospital in Mitchell for smoke inhalation.
An autopsy is planned Monday for the 59-year-old victim.
Several small explosions took place during the fire, when propane tanks, fuel tanks and tires that were housed in a storage shed on the property exploded.
Mitchell dispatch received the call at 4:06 a.m. Saturday for the trailer fire at 900 W. Second Ave., Lot 43. The home is in a dirt-road trailer park that is bordered on its southern edge by Dry Run Creek and a set of railroad tracks.
When fighters arrived on scene, the trailer was engulfed in flames. The trailer and several sheds around the property are considered a total loss.
The Mitchell Department of Public Safety, State Fire Marshal’s Office, federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the state Division of Criminal Investigation are involved in the ongoing investigation.
This is the second trailer house fire in Mitchell in as many weekends. On Sept. 22, a fire at 1116 E. First Ave., Lot 34, was reported around 6:30 a.m. and destroyed the home there. No one was injured in that blaze.