Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead
Things to do
• Tripp Oktoberfest, 5 p.m. to midnight, downtown Tripp.
• Farmers market, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., parking lot at Fifth and Main, Mitchell.
• Holiday Arts Fall Craft Show, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Masonic Temple, Mitchell.
• Voices for Hope, domestic violence awareness event, 3 p.m. to dusk, Hitchcock Park grandstand, Mitchell.
• Seventh annual Sew-A-Thon and white washcloth drive, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Fabric and Textile Warehouse, Mitchell.
• 5K Rad Run walk/run. 8 a.m., $20 in advance; $25 day of race, Kiwanis Woodlot Park, Mitchell.
• S.D. Women’s Christian Temperance Union Fall Retreat, registration, 9 a.m.; program, 10 a.m.; Fellowship Baptist Church, Scotland.
• Korean War Veterans Association Chapter 194 Gathering, 11 a.m., VFW Post Home, Mitchell.
• Wilbur Ellis Championship Bull Riding, 7 p.m., Corn Palace, Mitchell.
• OktoBEERFest, 4 to 7 p.m., tickets, $25, Highland Conference Center, Mitchell. 4-H grounds, Mitchell.
• Amazing Grace Free Lutheran Church Mission Festival, 9:15 presentation followed by 10:30 a.m. worship,
• Potluck noon meal benefit for Jolene Schulz, following 10:45 a.m. service, St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, Clayton.
• Annual United Methodist Church Fall Roast Beef Supper, 4:30 to 7 p.m., $8 for adults, $4 for ages 6-12, preschool free, Community Center, Woonsocket.
• Southeastern South Dakota Singing Convention’s Singspiration, 2 p.m., United Methodist Church, Olivet.
• CCD Breakfast Fundraiser, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., free will offering accepted, Sacred Heart Parish Center, Parkston.
Things to remember
BLOOD DRIVE SCHEDULED AT AQOP: LifeServe Blood Bank, of Mitchell, will conduct a blood drive from 1 to 5 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 1, Community Room, Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, Mitchell.
For more information or to schedule an appointment to donate, contact LifeServe Blood Center at (800) 287-4903 or visit lifeservebloodcenter.org.
MITCHELL LEGION AUXILARY TO MEET: Coacher-Goetsch American Legion Auxiliary Unit 18 will meet at 7 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 1, at the American Legion Post Home, Mitchell.
Mitchell: $3.864 Yankton: $3.845 Rapid City: $3.752 Sioux Falls: $3.817 State: $3.883 National: $3.787
Mega Millions: Winning numbers drawn Friday: 6-8-14-43-56; Mega Ball: 28; Megaplier: 4; Estimated jackpot: $21 million.
The average weight of a bucking bull is 1,600 to 1,800 pounds and seldom less than 1,200 pounds, according to the Professional Bull Riders Association.
Today in local history
On this date in 2007, it was announced that the Mitchell Police Department had a crime clearance rate of 70 percent or higher each year since 2000. The department consistently ranked above other police departments in the state. The clearance statistic for 2006 was 73 percent for Mitchell.