Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead
Things to do
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library bookmobile, 9 to 11 a.m., Millbrook.
• American Legion Post 18 meeting, 7:30 p.m., Post Home, Mitchell.
• Mitchell Area Historical Society annual meeting and dinner, 6 p.m., Wesley Acres, Mitchell.
• Mitchell Main Street & Beyond building code seminar, 6 p.m., MTI South Campus amphitheater, Mitchell.
• Mitchell High School Powder Puff Football Game, 7 p.m., Joe Quintal Field, Mitchell.
• Fraser Harrison, author of Infinite West: Travels in South Dakota, book signing and talk, 2 to 3:30 p.m., Town Hall, Harrison.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301.
Things to remember
HARRISON HOSTS AUTHOR: Fraser Harrison, author of Infinite West: Travels in South Dakota, will host a speaking and book signing event from 2 to 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 27, at the Town Hall, Harrison.
FESTIVAL OF BEER PLANNED: OktoBEERfest will be from 4 to 7 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 29, at Highland Conference Center, Mitchell.
There will be more than 50 beers available to sample, as well as a brat bar included in the ticket price.
Tickets are $25 and available at County Fair, Mitchell Chamber and online at www.oktobeerfest.net. There will also be a free shuttle service between the conference center and downtown Mitchell.
The event is sponsored by Time at the Table and The Network.
SEW-A-THON FOR VETERANS SCHEDULED: The seventh annual SEW-A-THON will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday Sept. 29, at Fabric and Textile Warehouse, Mitchell.
The group will sew wheelchair bags for veterans’ homes. Fabric and thread are furnished by the Fabric and Textile Warehouse, but sewing machines, scissors, etc. need to be brought along.
There will also be a “white washcloth drive” for donation to the veterans’ homes.
For more information or to sign up, call 996-6011.
Mega Millions: Winning numbers drawn Tuesday: 7-8-23-50-51; Mega Ball: 26; Megaplier: 3; Estimated jackpot: $14 million.
The number of households in Mitchell was 6,514, with 2.15 persons per household according to the 2010 U.S. Census.
Today in local history
Deputy State’s Attorney Jim Taylor presented the Davison County Commission with a proposal on this date in 2007 to revive a TIF for rebuilding the road to the Poet Biorefining plant from Highway 37 to Loomis. The new TIF district would not only pay back the $1.059 million for the first phase of construction, but also the final paving on the road.