Good morningDaily digest: A reader’s look at the day ahead
Things to do
• Bingo, 1 p.m., $1 per card or six cards for $5, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• Dance to music of Bud Baumiller, 7:30 to 10:30 p.m., $4, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library Bookmobile: 8:30 to 8:55 a.m., Little Learners; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Emery.
• Free Job Search Assistance Program, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., 1321 N. Main, Mitchell.
• Concerned Citizens of Hanson County meeting, 8 p.m., Hanson County Courthouse, Alexandria.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301.
Things to remember
JVCC PLANS DANCE: Dance to the music of Bud Baumiller from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. today at James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
Admission is $4, which includes lunch.
MEETING SET ABOUT DAIRY: Concerned Citizens of Hanson County will meet at 8 p.m. on Wednesday. Sept. 12, at the Hanson County Courthouse, Alexandria. The topic is the proposed dairy north of Alexandria. For more information, call 996-9605.
Custer State Park is home to a herd of 1,500 free-roaming bison. Bison can weigh as much as 2,000 pounds. Historically, the bison played an essential role in the lives of the Lakota (Sioux), who relied on the “tatanka” for food, clothing and shelter.
Today in local history
The Salvation Army in Mitchell reported in 2011 that “donations,” both well-intentioned and not, were piling up in the parking lot and drawing unwanted rummagers to the scene. The dumpster divers and others left a mess that required extra work for Salvation Army employees.
Donors were asked to leave donations during business hours to avoid the problem.