Fire destroys Salem 4-plex; no one injuredSALEM — No one was injured early Monday when a four-plex apartment building burned to the ground in Salem.
By: Anna Jauhola, The Daily Republic
SALEM — No one was injured early Monday when a four-plex apartment building burned to the ground in Salem.
At 1 a.m., McCook County dispatch received a 911 call from a neighbor reporting that the apartment building at 431 Brown Ave. was on fire, said Brad Stiefvater, county emergency manager. The neighbor reported flames coming from the building.
Salem, Montrose and Spencer fire departments responded to the scene.
“They got the fire knocked down in a couple hours,” Stiefvater said. “But they were on scene from 1 to 6:30 a.m. because there were a lot of hot spots.”
Two apartments were occupied on the single-level building. One tenant awoke to his fire detector and his only route of escape was through his bedroom window.
The second tenant was able to exit the building through the back door, Stiefvater said.
Tenants of one neighboring apartment were evacuated while firefighters controlled the fire, he said.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office finished its investigation by noon Monday and concluded the fire was started by a cigarette in an outdoor ashtray, Stiefvater said.
The displaced tenants, who lost all their possessions, already have temporary housing and have received help from the Red Cross.