Belle Fourche grass fire sparked by cigaretteBELLE FOURCHE (AP) — Firefighters in Belle Fourche say a cigarette tossed from a vehicle is the likely cause of a 20-acre grass fire.
BELLE FOURCHE (AP) — Firefighters in Belle Fourche say a cigarette tossed from a vehicle is the likely cause of a 20-acre grass fire.
Fire Chief Mark Hespe tells the media that crews responded about 1:15 p.m. Wednesday to a fire that started in a road ditch. It quickly spread to a nearby hillside and burned for approximately 30 minutes before firefighters brought it under control.
Hespe says the land is quite dry and the fire instantly lit up the hillside.
Residents, staff members and two guests at the Women of War veterans' shelter were evacuated as a precautionary measure.
Land owner Ferman Clarkson says he's thankful for the firefighters' quick response.
Hespe says fire danger is high due to the lack of moisture, ongoing high temperatures and high wind.