Ethan farmer acts quickly to save shed after tractor fireETHAN — A farmer pulled a burning tractor from a shed in order to save the building Friday afternoon.
By: Staff reports, The Daily Republic
ETHAN — A farmer pulled a burning tractor from a shed in order to save the building Friday afternoon.
Kevin Geppert, of 25525 406 Ave., had to think and act quickly when his older model John Deere 4430 tractor ignited after the battery exploded, according to Mitchell Fire Capt. Steve Nedved.
“He was starting it up and the battery blew up and started on fire inside the shed,” Nedved said. “He pulled it out before it lit the shed on fire.”
The fire was reported shortly before 4:30 p.m. and Mitchell firefighters arrived at 4:41 p.m., according to Nedved.
They extinguished the tractor, but it appears to be a total loss, he said. The tractor was worth between $15,000 to $16,000, Nedved said.
No one was injured and the shed only had some smoke damage, he said.