UPDATE: Two children treated for smoke inhalation after Friday night fire in MitchellTwo children have been flown to Sioux Falls hospitals after suffering smoke inhalation during a house fire Friday night in Mitchell, according to the Mitchell Fire Division.
By: Tom Lawrence, The Daily Republic
Two children have been flown to Sioux Falls hospitals after suffering smoke inhalation during a house fire Friday night in Mitchell, according to the Mitchell Fire Division.
The names and ages of the children injured in the fire at 222 W. Sixth Ave. were not available Saturday morning. Fire Capt. Steve Nedved said more information may be released Saturday afternoon or sometime Sunday.
Two bystanders who rushed into the house to try to rescue the children were taken to Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, in Mitchell, where they were treated and released for smoke inhalation, Nedved said.
The fire was reported at about 10:30 p.m. Friday, Nedved said. The house was engulfed in smoke, so the people who tried to find the children could not see them.
"The first arriving crews entered the house and were able to get the kids out using thermal imaging cameras," Nedved said.
At 10:50 p.m., the fire was under control, he said. Fire personnel remained at the scene for about three hours. About 20 firefighters responded, including some from Mount Vernon who responded to a call for assistance.
Nedved said no damage estimate was available.
"There's going to be pretty extensive smoke damage all through the house," he said. "And a little bit of fire damage in the back of the house."