Winner voters to decide on mayor's firing authorityWinner voters will decide whether mayor would keep authority to dismiss the police chief without city council approval.
By: Anna Jauhola, The Daily Republic
WINNER — Among several area towns that will hold elections Tuesday, Winner is one of two that will have a measure on the ballot.
Residents in Winner will vote on Ordinance 808, which would limit the mayor’s hiring and firing abilities.
An event in early 2011 sparked the change when Mayor Jess Keesis dismissed Police Chief Paul Schueth without council approval, which current law allows.
Should voters pass Ordinance 808, the mayor would no longer have the power to simply dismiss city employees without council approval.
Currently, the mayor appoints the city attorney, assistant city attorney, finance officer, police chief and public works superintendent with council approval.
However, the mayor can dismiss any of them without council approval.
Ordinance 808 would only allow the mayor to appoint or dismiss the city attorney and assistant city attorney with council approval.
Winner has several positions on the ballot, too, which are listed below.
* Mayor: incumbent Jess Keesis, Frank Finney and Mike Moss.
* Ward 1 seat: Dave Baker and Roger Root.
* Ward 3 seat: Brad Scramm and Orville Lund.
Following are summaries of other area election items, including contested races.
* Alpena city trustee: Stephen Passenheim, Grant Terkildsen, Richard Mees.
* Avon city, Ward 1: incumbent Jill Grogan and Greg Voigt.
* Corsica city, bond issue: The people will vote whether to pass a $1.7 million bond issue to pay for street and drainage construction.
* Delmont city, Ward 3: incumbent Earla Strid and Elle Rice.
* Freeman city, mayor: incumbent Clifford Tjaden and Samuel Sorenson.
* Freeman city, Ward 1: incumbent Royce Breneman and Donna Waltner.
* Geddes city, Ward 1: incumbent Ronald Dufek and Raymond Mushitz.
* Gregory city, mayor: Lyle Martin, Maurice Schlaht and Melissa Vosika.
* Gregory city, Ward 1: incumbent Chad Peck and Wade Juracek.
* Gregory School Board (two three-year seats): incumbent David Shoemaker, David Fogel, Ronnie Spain-Messick, Curt Sinclair, Micah Stevicks and Rod Vosika.
* Lane city, trustee: incumbent Shirley Hines and Clyde Zirpel.
* Oacoma city, two trustee seats: incumbents Gary Dominiack and Kurt Kelsey, and James Harmon.
* Plankinton city, Ward 2: incumbent Joan Williams, Brad Kehn and John “Joe” Staller.
* Platte-Geddes School Board, one-year term: Dan Selvig and Monte Wagner.
* Tripp city, Ward 3: incumbent Gerald Schoenfelder and Victor Olson.