Digging ruptures gas line at Mitchell homeA home in northeastern Mitchell was evacuated Thursday night because of a natural gas leak.
By: Staff reports, The Daily Republic
A home in northeastern Mitchell was evacuated Thursday night because of a natural gas leak.
Firefighters and NorthWestern Energy personnel responded to the leak just before 8 p.m. at 1900 Southview Drive, which is listed as the home of John and Karla Koons.
Tom Glanzer, a spokesman for NorthWestern Energy, said someone was digging post holes for a deck at the home when a gas line was struck. He said nobody was injured, the leak was controlled in short order, and service was interrupted only to the one affected residence.
“This is a perfect example of why you need to call before you dig,” Glanzer said.
A call can be placed to 811 before digging, and a crew will be dispatched to locate underground lines.