City Council will discuss Corn Palace plan tonightThe Next Generation Corn Palace Area Development Project will be discussed by the Mitchell City Council tonight. The council has previously discussed a proposed expansion and remodel of the city-owned facility, but this will be the first time it has officially talked about it since the $35 million proposal for the Corn Palace was unveiled last month.
By: Tom Lawrence, The Daily Republic
The Next Generation Corn Palace Area Development Project will be discussed by the Mitchell City Council tonight.
The council has previously discussed a proposed expansion and remodel of the city-owned facility, but this will be the first time it has officially talked about it since the $35 million proposal for the Corn Palace was unveiled last month.
Two weeks ago, Mayor Lou Sebert said the talk on the street was that the price tag was too high.
Council Vice President Marty Barington, who sat on the Chamber of Commerce committee that worked with a Minneapolis firm to prepare a plan for the Corn Palace, said after the Jan. 16 meeting, when the proposal was first shown to the public, that the next step was for the council to announce a funding plan.
Chamber committee member Doug Dailey has been making presentations on the proposal for several weeks and did three more last week as proponents for an expanded Corn Palace seek to generate public support for an expansion and improvement. The Corn Palace has seen a steady drop in attendance over the past several years.
The council meets at 7:30 p.m. in City Hall Council Chambers, 612 N. Main St. The meeting is open to the public.
In other business tonight, the council will:
- Hear a request from Cornerstone Coffeehouse and Deli, 123 E. Third Ave., to allow sidewalk consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Hear department, division and board reports from the Finance Department and Mitchell Pubic Library, (December), and January reports from the Police and Fire divisions, Mitchell Regional Ambulance, the Parks, Recreation & Forestry Department, Palace Transit, the Water Department, Mitchell Regional Airport and the Airport Board.
- Sit as the Board of Adjustment to:
Set a March 5 date for hearing on the application of Stephanie Everson for a conditional use permit to operate a day care at 509 E. sixth Ave.
Set a March 5 date for hearing on the application of Stephanie Swanson for a conditional use permit to operate a dog grooming business at 1513 E. Ash.
Set a March 5 date for hearing on the application of Verizon Wireless for a conditional use permit to construct a tower at 1525 W. Havens Ave. The address is zoned HB Highway Oriented Business District. A Verizon tower requires a conditional use permit within that district.
Hold a hearing on the application of Larry and Kathy Gebel for a variance to construct a carport at 1118 S. Kimball St. The request is being made because the square footage and the front yard setback will not be met. The Planning and Zoning Commission recommended denial last week after a neighbor objected.
Hold a hearing on the application of Bob Plastow for a conditional use permit to operate a home occupation computer business at 808 E. Third Ave. The Planning and Zoning Commission recommended denial last week after a neighbor objected.
- There are 16 bids ranging from $205,260.60 to $299,427.
- Award a bid on City Project 2012-10 for rock chips. There are two options, both from Spencer Quarries, of Spencer, Iowa.
- West Ash and miscellaneous sidewalk, City Project 2012-4A; Foster, Gamble, Eighth and miscellaneous sidewalk, City Project 2012-4B; hazardous sidewalk and miscellaneous sidewalk, City Project 2012-4C, at 1:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers.
- Set a March 2 date to receive and consider bids for a used bucket truck for Park and Corn Palace, City Project 2012-25, at 1:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers.
- Set a March 19 date for hearing on the assessment roll for 2011 sidewalk, curb and gutter, concrete alley and nuisance abatements.
- Hold a hearing on the application to the state of South Dakota for a Community Development Block Grant to assist the Mitchell School District in its plans to acquire equipment for the welding/manufacturing program.
The city is asking for $107,500 to help pay for the $211,000 project.
- Consider adopting Resolution 2971, designating a CDBG project certifying officer and environmental certifying officer.
- Consider adopting Resolution 2972, an authorizing resolution for the CDBG process.
- Hold a hearing on the application to transfer a package (off-sale) liquor license (PL-4695) and (on-off sale) wine license (RW-6530), from Wiebelhaus Companies Inc., doing business as Dakota Sunset, 1524 W. Havens St., Mitchell to T.E.A.M. Haus, Inc., dba Dakota Sunset.
- Hold a hearing on a proposed resolution of necessity for 2012 sidewalk construction and then consider adopting Resolution 2968, declaring the necessity for sidewalk construction.
- Consider adopting Resolution 2970, the annexation of Lot 4A and that portion of abandoned Lot B abutting Lot 4A in the southeast quarter of Section 27, Township 103 North, Range 60, and Lot 7 of Highland Business Park.
- Consider adopting Resolution 2373, calling for bridge reinspection.
n Hold the first reading of Ordinance 2393, supplemental appropriations of $20,000 for water distribution on National Guard Road and $12,000 for machinery, equipment and a mower at the Lakeview Golf Course.
- Hold the first reading of Ordinance 2394, numerous supplemental reappropriations for city departments and divisions.
n Hold the second reading of and consider adopting Ordinance 2392, a supplemental reappropriation of $40,000 for a conversion crack sealer.
- Consider approving engineering services for Norway Avenue waste water pumping station with SPN & Associates.
- Consider approving a contract between the Mitchell Fire Division and Ward Diesel Filter Systems.
- Consider approving Bike Path Phase II.
- Review a raffle request from Rotary District 5610, with the drawing to be held April 13.
- Approve these pay estimates:
Lake Mitchell Bike Path PH III Project 2011-36 contracted to SPN & Associates. Pay estimate 8 in the amount of $6,021.65.
Landfill Loader Project 2011-39 contracted to RDO Equipment Company. Pay estimate 2, final, in the amount of $6,951.50.
WW Service Pumps & Controls Project 2011-41 contracted to SPN & Associates. Pay estimate 1 in the amount of $3,200.
Spruce Street Utility Location Project 2012-26 contracted to SPN & Associates. Pay estimate 1 in the amount of $6,250.
- Hear reports from the Traffic and Finance committees, which will meet before the council does.
The Traffic Commission is scheduled to meet at 7:05 p.m. to review a request from Mitchell Main Street & Beyond to close Eighth Street from Main Street to Rowley Street on May 19 for a communitywide consignment auction in the Slumberland parking lot. MMS&B is also asking for blockages or pylons to close all entrances and exits to the parking lot.
The Finance Committee is scheduled to meet at 7:10 p.m. to review supplemental reappropriations from 2011 to 2012 and examine a request from the Lakeview Golf Course to appropriate and classify 2012 budget items to buy a fairway mower.
- Hear an invocation from a Grace Reformed Church representative.