Sidewalk proposal comes to Mitchell City Council MondayBuilding more sidewalks in Mitchell will once again come before the Mitchell City Council.
By: Tom Lawrence, The Daily Republic
Building more sidewalks in Mitchell will once again come before the Mitchell City Council.
The council will consider adopting Resolution 2968, declaring a necessity for sidewalk construction, during its meeting tonight. Installing sidewalks has been a council priority for the last few years.
Property owners are assessed for the sidewalk work. They will be given until March 9 to acquire a permit and install it themselves. The permits are free but the work must be done within a time set by the city.
The council will hear a report on the plan from the Sidewalk Committee, which is scheduled to meet from p.m. to 7:20 p.m. It will review 2012 sidewalk projects and hear a report from the code enforcement officer.
Public Works Deputy Director Terry Johnson, who prepares the plan, is also the chairman of the committee.
The council meets at 7:30 p.m. at City Hall Council Chambers, 612 N. Main St. The meeting is open to the public.
The council will also:
* Award a bid for asphalt recycling and concrete crushing for city project 2012-9.
There are three bids: Schoenfelder Construction, of Mitchell, for $150,000; Pete Bindner Inc., of Marcus, Iowa, for $119,980, and Intex Corporation, of Albertville, Minn., for $101,600.
* Set a Feb. 27 date to receive and consider bids for a skid loader and cold planer for city project 2012-16 at 1:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers.
n Set a March 5 date to receive and consider bids for 400 through 700 blocks of West Seventh utilities for city project 2012-21 at 1:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers.
* Set a Feb. 20 date for a hearing on the application to the state of South Dakota for a community development block grant (CDBG) to assist the Mitchell School District in its plans to acquire equipment for the welding/manufacturing program.
* Set a Feb. 20 date for a hearing on the application to transfer package (off-sale) liquor license (PL-4695) and (on-off sale) wine license (RW-6530), from Wiebelhaus Companies Inc., doing business as Dakota Sunset, 1524 West Havens St., to T.E.A.M. Haus, Inc., dba Dakota Sunset.
* Hold a hearing on a proposed resolution of necessity for sidewalk construction.
* Amend Resolution 2961, the 2012 salary resolution, to add an information technology specialist to salary range and exempt supervisory personnel listing.
* Consider adopting Resolution 2969, interim financing of $3,215 for tax increment district 15 with Pro Build. The money will come from the general fund and will be repaid as monies are received.
* Hold the first reading of Ordinance 2392, a supplemental appropriation of $40,000 for a conversion crack sealer.
* Hold the second reading and consider adoption of Ordinance 2388, rezoning the west 50 feet of lots 1 and 2 at 601 and 603 S. Duff St. from medium density residential (R-3) to highway oriented business district and amending the city’s official zoning map.
Scott Studer, the owner of Palace Motorsports, wants to rezone a section of rental property he owns behind the business. He has been using a 40-by-60-foot spot in the back of the lots to park some vehicles from his business. His neighbors were concerned about vehicles that were parked there for any significant length of time but Studer has met with them to discuss his need for the space.
* Hold the second reading of Ordinance 2390, 2011 supplemental appropriations and amend it to add $11,211 for the city RSVP service for gas, oil, tires expenditures.
* Hold the second reading and adoption of Ordinance 2391, 2012 a supplemental appropriation of $57,900 for signal lights at Havens and Rowley.
* Consider approval of the completion of the Drinking Water State Revolving Loan project for the Interstate 90 water tower, project 2009-30. The final loan amount was $1.6 million.
* Declare surplus a 2009 pickup box to be traded.
* Approve the purchase of two police patrol vehicles for the Police Division from the state bid.
* Amend Jan. 3 City Council minutes.
* Review and approve raffle requests: Mitchell Aquatic Club with the drawing to be held March 4; James River Valley Chapter RMEF with the drawing to be held March 23; Gertie Belle Rogers PTA with the drawing to be held March 3; Skills USA South Dakota with the drawing to be held April 13 and Mitchell High School Future Business Leaders of America with the drawing to be held Feb. 24.
* Will review an abatement of taxes in the amount of $93.96 to Shawn Gravatt for Lot 44 of Mallard Cove Park due to tax bill generated early to transfer title of mobile home.
* Will review an abatement of taxes in the amount of $1,240.14 to Thomas G. and Jan E. Johnson for lot 2 in block 9 of Gleesons Addition due to missed deadline for disabled veteran’s exemption.
* Sit as the Board of Adjustment to set Feb. 20 dates for a hearing on the application of Bob Plastow for a conditional use permit to operate a home occupation computer business at 808 E. Third Ave. and a hearing on the application of Larry and Kathy Gebel for a variance to construct a car port at 1118 S. Kimball St. That request is being made because the square footage and front yard setback will not be met.
* Review a conditional use permit that was given to Bruce Trebil at 514 W Ash. There was a condition to review it in one year.
* Will hear a report from the Sidewalk and Finance committees, which will meet before the council meeting.
The Finance Committee meets at 7:20 p.m. and will review sales tax collections from the fourth quarter of 2011.
* Will hear the invocation from a Grace Baptist Church representative.