Davison County Commissioners set to approve housing and redevelopment commissionThe Davison County commissioners will hold a public hearing Tuesday to determine the need for a county housing and redevelopment commission.
By: Ross Dolan, The Daily Republic
The Davison County commissioners will hold a public hearing Tuesday to determine the need for a county housing and redevelopment commission.
The hearing is being held at the request of Roger Jacobs, field office director for South Dakota’s Housing and Urban Development office in Sioux Falls.
Last week, Jacobs and Mitchell Housing Authority Executive Director Tammy Frost told the commissioners that housing vouchers are going unused because no qualifying rentals can be found to meet HUD’s quality and pricing guidelines. A county housing and redevelopment commission would allow Frost to use the vouchers countywide, and aid more people.
The commissioners are expected to approve the new commission and also to appoint members on Tuesday.
The public hearing is set for 9:45 a.m. The commissioners will meet in regular session at 9 a.m. in the Commissioners’ Room at the Courthouse, 200 E. Fourth Ave., Mitchell.
The agenda includes:
* 9 a.m. Call to order, approval of past meeting minutes, citizen input.
* 9:30 a.m. Consideration to approve liquor license renewals.
* 9:45 a.m. Public hearing and appointment of housing and redevelopment commission.
* 10:35 a.m. Davison County Treasurer Brenda Sanders regarding a new hire for her department.
* 10:45 a.m. Interim Welfare Director Dawn Grissom with the welfare report.
* 11 a.m. miscellaneous board items, approval of bills for payment, and the signing of a contract with the South Dakota Department of Health.
* Also Tuesday, the Davison County Planning and Zoning Commission will meet in regular session at 1:15 p.m. in the Commissioners’ Room.
* The county drainage board will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday at the courthouse.