Local family's drywall complaint goes to federal courtA local couple who claimed publicly in May that their drywall made them sick has taken their complaint to federal court. Court documents show that a case filed locally by Brandon and Renae Gades against United States Gypsum, UBC/Pro Build and the Doe Company was removed Thursday to federal court.
By: Austin Kaus, The Daily Republic
A local couple who claimed publicly in May that their drywall made them sick has taken their complaint to federal court.
Court documents show that a case filed locally by Brandon and Renae Gades against United States Gypsum, UBC/Pro Build and the Doe Company was removed Thursday to federal court.
The documents allege that United States Gypsum produced drywall that caused the family to get ill and abandon their home. UBC/Pro Build is listed as a building supply center owned by ProBuild Company LLC. The Doe Company is named as a way of including additional parties that may surface during the lawsuit.
The Gadeses allege that they made extensive improvements to their Mitchell home that included the installation of drywall produced by USG. The drywall, they allege, either contained or was exposed to and contaminated by sulfur dioxide and other harmful substances
The Gades family alleges that the drywall released sulfur dioxide, which caused physical reactions and injuries, medical expenses, emotional distress and anxiety and disruption of “their normal family life and relationships.”
They also allege the sheetrock has rendered the home “valueless.”
In addition to actual damages, the Gadeses are seeking punitive damages.
According to court documents, USG denies that any USG drywall installed in the Gades home contains any harmful substance.
Earlier this year, Renae Gades told The Daily Republic that the drywall emitted sulfur gas that corroded wiring and appliances in addition to causing the health problems mentioned above. The situation, she said, came to a head when the couple’s toddler had a seizure in April 2009. After that, the family abandoned the home and began pursuing litigation.
A trial date on the matter has yet to be scheduled.
The Gades complaint surfaced at a time when other complaints were arising nationally regarding Chinese drywall, which reportedly resulted in more than 3,000 reports of health problems. The Chinese drywall was reported to emit a sulfuric gas that caused a rotten-egg odor, health problems and the corrosion of copper pipes and wiring.
The Gadeses allege that USG falsely stated their American-made drywall was free from the harmful chemicals found in the Chinese drywall. USG denies the accusation.
Tags: chinese drywall, brandon and renae gades, federal court, ubc pro build, sulfur dioxide, harmful gas, harmful substances, federal court, news, drywall, sheetrock, litigation, usg, court, courts, localMore from around the web