Mitchell School District announces teachers of the yearThe Mitchell School District has announced its teachers of the year for individual schools.
The Mitchell School District has announced its teachers of the year for individual schools.
- Mitchell High School, Mel Olson, social studies, 28½ years of total teaching experience.
- Mitchell Middle School, Darci Winthers, special education, 15 years experience.
- Longfellow Elementary, Julie Reichert, second grade, seven years experience.
- L.B. Williams Elementary, Amanda Chada, fourth grade, 14 years experience.
- Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary, Angie Neugebauer, speech therapy, 28 years experience.
Longfellow Elementary School Principal Joe Childs, chairman of the Teacher of the Year selection committee, said the named teachers will automatically become finalists for the Mitchell School District’s Teacher of the Year. Middle School English teacher Anne Moegge was named the district’s Teacher of the Year in 2009.
All nominees have been notified, Childs said, and have completed applications supplying information on professional development, community involvement, and teaching methods and philosophy. Candidates also were asked why they chose the teaching profession and to disclose their “most rewarding teaching experience.”
Childs said that a committee consisting of building principals, parents, teachers and a member of the school board will consider the responses and make a final Teacher of the Year selection.
The winner will be announced April 29 at the district’s employee recognition banquet.