Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
Zesto, a 63-year-old drive-in restaurant, could be moving. The Mitchell Planning and Zoning Commission is scheduled to look at a proposal today during its noon meeting at City Hall. (Candy DenOuden/Republic)

Zesto moving to new site?

Email

A long-established local drive-in restaurant could be moving.

During a noon meeting today in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 612 N. Main St., the Mitchell Planning and Zoning Commission will consider approving a plan to relocate Zesto, a 63-year-old drive-in restaurant, from its current location at 422 S. Sanborn Boulevard to another building in the 200 block of West First Avenue.

Advertisement

"This is definitely in the very early planning stages," said owner Roxie Ackman in an interview Friday.

Ackman, who has owned Zesto for 16 years, declined to talk about the plan in detail before it is presented to the commission.

"Zesto is definitely in need of a new building," she said.

According to a sketch included in the commission's agenda, Zesto could relocate to a building located in the 200 block of West First Avenue behind two other businesses, The Hair Affair and Tropitana, also owned by Ackman.

The sketch shows plans for indoor and outdoor seating areas, indoor counter space with additional seating, and a walk-up window with a separate pickup window.

The new location would be directly east of the Garden of Eden, at 214 W. First Ave., which was purchased by the city last year along with two other nearby properties. Those properties were purchased with the intention of demolishing the existing structures to clear space to build a new city hall.

Ackman is the owner of the one privately owned parcel on the north side of First Avenue between the James Valley Community Center and the old Longhorn Bar property.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness