No one injured in Mitchell fire
A Thursday morning fire damaged the attic of a home at 216 E. 11th Ave. in Mitchell, but no one was hurt.
The Mitchell Fire Division responded shortly after 8 a.m. after a person inside the home reported the smell of smoke and visible flames, said Mitchell Fire Marshal Marius Laursen in an interview with The Daily Republic at the scene.
The home is owned by Bobbi Franklin, according to Davison County’s online property listings.
Smoke was pouring from the roof when the first firefighters arrived, according to Laursen. When firefighters pulled down the ceiling inside the home, he said, they discovered a small fire burning in the attic.
Firefighters doused hot spots in the attic and knocked the fire down in 20 to 30 minutes, Laursen said. The damage caused by the fire was minimal and mostly confined to the attic, he said. There was no apparent damage to the exterior of the home.
There were three adults, one child and two dogs inside the home at the time of the fire, but all escaped without injury, Laursen said.
The fire appeared to have started in the attic and may have been caused by electrical issues, Laursen said.
A wind chill advisory was in effect Thursday morning in Mitchell, as the temperature hovered near 5 below zero with a wind chill of 19 below, according to the National Weather Service. The Mitchell Fire Division sent more personnel than normal for the relatively small fire due to the frigid temperatures, Laursen said.
“The quicker we can get more people here and get things knocked down, the easier it is when it’s this cold out,” he said.