Mitchell school board to consider votes for SDHSAA at-large members
Mitchell School District will consider Deb Olson as a representative for the Large School Group of the South Dakota High School Activities Association during tonight's meeting.
The district's Board of Education will meet at 5 p.m. in the Mitchell Career and Technical Education Academy building, where it will consider approving votes for Olson and other SDHSAA at-large representatives and official constitutional amendments.
The board's agenda information lists Superintendent Joe Graves' recommendations, including his endorsement of Olson, citing her as "the best candidate even in a crowded field." Olson was elected to the Mitchell Board of Education in 2013.
As part of the consent agenda, the board will consider the following personnel items:
• New hires: Nick Baus, ADBC instructor/MTI, $45,000 (9-month instructor), effective Aug. 19; Sonya Johnson, payroll/human resources, $41,500 annually for 2014-15 and $6,917 for May 1 through June 30, effective May 1; Kevin Kelly, physical education/MS, $33,750, effective 2014-15 school year; Anne Kinsley, MS science, $35,000, effective 2014-15 school year; Adam Schorzmann, social studies/language arts/MS, $33,750, effective 2014-15 school year.
• Resignations: Katie Strand, .5 FTE computer aide, effective end of school year; Gail Goehring, paraeducator/MS, effective end of school year.
• Transfer (extra-curricular): Catherine VerSteeg, to assistant show choir pit director, 2014-15 school year.
• Resignation (extra-curricular): Ryan Stahle, assistant show choir pit director, effective end of school year.
In other business, board members plan to:
• Recognize the state Future Business Leader of America winners.
• Hear a 2014-15 K-14 preliminary budget review.
• Consider approving, on second reading, Mitchell Technical Institute policy 448 regarding fixed asset inventory. Personal property requiring inventory would have an expected useful life of one year, to meet state policy.
• Consider approving a MATE agreement for the 2014-15 school year
• Consider approving declaring an MTI shop house at 1800 E. Spruce St. and site house in the 800 block of W. 16th Ave. as surplus property so they can be sold through the sealed bid process.
• Consider approving MTI bids on paving the lot east of the Energy building for $104,006, and an ag PTO dynamometer for $30,495 from Dynamometer Inc. A dynamometer is a device for measuring force, torque or power.
• Hear board member reports, the superintendent's report and public commentary.