Mitchell home damaged by attic fire
An attic fire damaged a home Thursday morning at 216 E. 11th Ave. in Mitchell, but no one was hurt.
The Mitchell Fire Division responded shortly after 8 a.m. after a resident inside the home reported the smell of smoke and visible flames, according to Mitchell Fire Marshal Marius Laursen.
When firefighters arrived, smoke was pouring from the roof, Laursen said. Firefighters pulled down the ceiling, which revealed a small fire in the attic.
The fire was knocked down after 20 to 30 minutes, with damage to the home mainly confined to the attic, Laursen said.
Laursen said he believes only one person was inside the home when the fire started, but could not confirm the information.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known, but does not appear to be suspicious, Laursen said.