Mitchell City Council to discuss Longhorn Bar liquor license
The continuing saga of the Longhorn Bar will add another chapter tonight.
The Mitchell City Council will hold a hearing on the application to transfer a retail (on-sale) liquor license and package (off-sale) liquor license, and a retail (on-off sale) malt beverage license to include Sunday sales from Jason Bates, the owner of the bar, to a limited liability corporation.
Bates wants the council to permit him to put the license, which has a value of at least $190,000, according to the new restaurant liquor law passed last month, under the name of the corporation. The license is for both Big Dummy's and the Longhorn Bar, which are physically joined, at 108, 110 and 112 N. Main St., Mitchell. The corporation, Bates Enterprises LLC, is at the same addresses.
Two weeks ago, the council discussed setting a date for the hearing and said there was some concern that if the license was placed in the LLC, and not in his name, the city may be stuck with the old Longhorn Bar building located across the street.
That bar has been closed since November after part of the ceiling and a wall collapsed. The city gave Bates until April 9 to come up with a plan to repair or remove the building, but he had not told them of his intentions by the time of the deadline.
Public Works Director Tim McGannon said he had a message from Bates last week and the two would speak.
Bates has said he is battling the company that insured the old bar. He has offered the building to the adjacent VFW post for $1.
The council meets at 7:30 p.m. at City Hall Council Chambers, 612 N. Main St. The meeting is open to the public.
The council will:
* Set a May 7 date to receive and consider bids for Sanborn Street concrete panels. Phase II of City Project 2012-22.
* Set a May 7 date for a hearing on the application of the Palace City Lions Club for a special event malt beverage and wine license at the Horseman's Sports Arena on July 19-22 for the Corn Palace Stampede Rodeo.
* Consider adopting Resolution 2983, the plat of Sebert Tract 1, a subdivision of Lot A in the southwest quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 23, T 103 N, R 60 W of the Fifth Prime Meridian in Davison County.
* Consider adopting Resolution 2984, the plat of Lot 14 in the replat of Tract A, Wild Oak Golf Club Addition to the city of Mitchell.
* Hold the second readings of and consider adopting Ordinance 2400, sewer rates and charges; Ordinance 2401, a supplemental appropriation, and Ordinance 2402, amending the TIF Committee ordinance.
* Consider accepting the donation of a building at 124 E. First Ave. to the city of Mitchell.
* Consider a contract with SPN including Roby, Quintal & Everson and L.L. Jirsa, for airport new SRE building design inspection, AIP 3-46-0037-25, in the amount of $69,768.
* Review a work order for yearly bridge inspection work with Brosz Engineering Inc.
* Recognize the state bid for purchase of turf tractor from Scott Supply Co in the amount $29,500.
* Declare surplus a 224 Case 585 tractor for a trade-in.
* Authorize Public Safety Chief Lyndon Overweg to sign the annual Joint Powers Agreement with the South Dakota Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.
* Consider the application of the Palace City Lions Club for a special event malt beverage and wine license at the Corn Palace and to include City Hall on May 12 for the Red Green Show.
* Approve a raffle request from Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Mitchell Area with the drawing to be held Aug. 22.
* Consider an abatement of taxes in the amount of $19.55 to David Brinker/Edweena Brinker/Rick Brinker for 1959 Town & Country Caravan mobile home due to mobile home has no value and is being dismantled for salvage.
* Consider an abatement of taxes in the amount of $20.51 to Amy L. Mahrt for 1966 Liberty Mobile Home 45819. The mobile home was moved in 2008 and owner cannot be located.
* Approve these pay estimates:
Sidewalk Pioneer and Jennewein project 2011-4G contracted to Big O Concrete. Pay estimate 5 in the amount of $17,852.18.
Bike Path Phase III project 2011-36 contracted to SPN & Associates. Pay estimate 10 in the amount of $3,505.
Gamble/Eighth/Mentzer/Foster and miscellaneous project 2012-4B contracted to Big O Concrete. Pay estimate 1 in the amount of $1,234.27.
Hazardous sidewalk project 2012-4C contracted to Big O Concrete. Pay estimate 1 in the amount of $7,442.09.
Asphalt/concrete crushing project 2012-9 contracted to Intex Corporation. Pay estimate 1 in the amount of $111,668.56.
Rock chips project 2012-10 contracted to Spencer Quarries Inc. Pay estimate 1 in the amount of $38,665.56.
Water meters and transmitter supply project 2012-11 contracted to HD Supply. Pay estimate 1 in the amount of $49,390.
North Highway 37 water main Phase II project 2012-20 contracted to H & W Contracting, LLC. Pay estimate 1 in the amount of $166,265.20.
Old landfill leachate monitoring project 2012-28 contracted to Leggette, Brashears & Graham. Pay estimate 1 in the amount of $5,005.64.
New Landfill Monitoring Project 2012-29 contracted to Leggette, Brashears & Graham. Pay estimate 1 in the amount of $4,419.40.
Norway lift station improvement project 2012-33 contracted to SPN & Associates. Pay estimate 1 in the amount of $3,200.
* The council will sit as the Board of Adjustment to:
Set a May 7 hearing on the application of Doug Krantz for a conditional use permit to sell and display trailers and vehicles at 1501 W. Spruce.
Set a May 7 hearing on the application of Jerry Bertsch for a variance to construct a garage at 316 W. 13th Ave. The request is being made because the building height standard will not be met.
Set a May 7 hearing on the application of Tim and Sherry Hines for a variance to construct an addition at 605 W. 14th Ave. The request is being made because the front yard setback will not be met.
Hold a hearing on the application of Erika Ellwein for a conditional use permit to operate a day care center in her home at 1017 W. Elm.
* Approve reports from the Finance Department (January and February), Fire Division (March), building permits (March), Mitchell Regional Ambulance (January), Library (February), Parks, Recreation & Forestry (March), Palace Transit (March), Water Department (March), Airport (March) and Airport Board (February).
* Hear reports from the Public Health & Safety Committee and the Traffic Commission, which will meet before the council meeting.
The Public Health and Safety Committee will meet at 7:10 p.m. It will consider a street light on Lakeview Lane.
The Traffic Commission meets at 7:20 p.m.
Hohn Trucking wants permission to temporarily park trucks on the city street in front of its business at 401 E. Ash Ave.
The James Valley Community Center Farmers Market Committee is asking to have no-parking signs placed at the Fifth and Main parking lot from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays from June 2 through the end of the season.
The Mitchell Wesleyan Church wants Sixth Street closed in an area directly south of the church for six to nine months during a construction project.
The Heart and Sole Cancer Walk/Run Committee is asking to close Eighth Street from Minnesota to Iowa streets as well as the Cadwell entrance to Eighth Street from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. June 15 for its event.
* Hear the invocation from a Salvation Army representative.