Mitchell City Council to consider Corn Palace bids
Two construction bids submitted by Mitchell companies last week for the first phase of the renovation of the Corn Palace are on the City Council's agenda Monday night.
The agenda includes a 7 p.m. Public Health and Safety Committee meeting, a 7:05 p.m. Traffic Commission meeting, a 7:20 p.m. Finance Committee meeting and the 7:30 p.m. council meeting, all in Council Chambers at City Hall, 612 N. Main St.
Mueller Lumber submitted the lowest bid for the Corn Palace renovation, with an amount of approximately $3.95 million. Puetz Corporation was the only other bidder, with an amount of $4.27 million. Both bids were opened last Wednesday.
The council will consider awarding the project to one of the two companies tonight.
The budget for the first phase of the project is nearly $4.2 million. While both bids are close to the budgeted amount, other expenses, such as design fees or furniture, will add to the cost of the project.
In each bid proposal, alternates are included that remove certain design aspects from the project, reducing the estimated cost by tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Doug Dailey, chairman of the Tourism/Corn Palace Area Development Committee, said Wednesday that his committee will recommend a bid to the council tonight.
The two-phase renovation of the Corn Palace is expected to cost about $7.2 million. The city has already set aside $6.5 million for the project.
Changes to the Corn Palace will include new, light-up domes, larger murals with improved lighting and large windows that open to a walk-out balcony above the marquee. The soon-to-be vacated City Hall building, which is attached to the north side of the Corn Palace, will be vacated and renovated to include exhibits and a theater in the second phase of the plan.
Council members plan to consider approving the following items as part of a consent agenda:
• The agenda, minutes from the prior meeting, minutes from various committee meetings and reports from various city departments.
• An application to transfer a retail on-sale liquor license from Loyal Order of Moose, 516 W. 15th Ave. to Loyal Order of Moose, 516 W. 15th Ave., due to a change in the licensed premises.
• A raffle request from the Heart and Sole Cancer Walk, with the drawing to be held June 20.
• An automatic supplement of $17,212 from an insurance claim reimbursement to the Parks and Recreation Department's special revenue fund for roof repair at the Mitchell Activities Center, due to wind damage.
• Surplus one Glock Model 27 handgun, one badge and name tag to be presented to Assistant Police Chief Leon Baier when he retires May 23.
• Set a June 11 date to receive and consider bids for gabion rip-rap repair north of the Lake Mitchell spillway.
• Set a June 16 date to receive and consider bids for a hearing for work done on construction projects and nuisance abatements in 2013.
• Acknowledge receipt of notification from the South Dakota Department of Legislative Audit that the 2013 audit report for the city of Mitchell has been received and accepted.
• Gas and diesel bids.
• A list of pay estimates.
• Bills, payroll, salary adjustments and new employee hires, and authorization for payment of recurring and other expenses in advance as approved by the finance officer.
In scheduled business tonight, council members plan to:
• Discuss programs and future plans with the Mitchell Housing Authority.
• Sit as the board of adjustment and set a June 2 date for a hearing on the application of John Hollman for a front yard variance of 20 feet, rather than the required 35 feet, to construct a new accessory building at 1706 W. Fifth Ave.; conduct a hearing on the application of Erika Ellwein for a conditional use permit to operate a day care in her home at 808 E. Fifth Ave.
• Set a June 16 date to re-bid for furniture for the Mitchell Public Library.
• Consider a resolution for plat of Lot 16, Block 9 of the Woods First Addition, a subdivision of the east one-half of the southwest one-quarter of Section 23, Township 103 North, Range 60 west of the fifth P.M., city of Mitchell.
• Consider a resolution for a contingency transfer of $10,000 to the street and sidewalk portion of the general fund for repairs of damage from a hit-and-run to the guardrail of the Canal Bridge.
• Conduct the first of two required readings of an ordinance prohibiting certain forms of aggressive solicitation.
• Conduct the first of two required readings of an ordinance amending city of Mitchell's zoning code.
• Conduct the first of two required readings of an ordinance to supplement the City Council portion of the general fund with $5,000 from the general fund cash balance for legal publications; and the sports complexes portion of the Parks and Recreation department's special revenue fund with $30,000 for capital buildings, with $15,000 from the park fund balance and $15,000 from a donation.
• Consider approving the purchase of library furniture off the state bid from HON Furniture, care of Brown & Saeger, in the amount of $39,168.30 for the renovation of the Mitchell Public Library.
• Consider approving an amendment to an agreement with the South Dakota Department of Transportation for airport SRE equipment from $125,000 to $120,000.
• Consider approving an amendment to the Lake Mitchell shoreline restoration project with SPN & Associates.
• Consider approving a certificate of substantial completion for Norway Avenue lift station project.
• Consider approving a change order to Ironman Construction for the Garden of Eden demolition, removing the deduction of $5,445 awarded in the original bid, for an adjusted contract amount of $23,921.
• Consider approving a change order to Sunkota Construction for the renovation of the Mitchell Public Library, adding a voice and data system for $5,895, for an adjusted contract amount of $1,872,025.
• Consider approving an agreement with Puetz Corp. acting as construction manager at-risk for the City Hall project.