MCTEA renovation likely to be re-bid
The bid to renovate the Mitchell Career and Technical Education Academy is almost as much as the budget for the project itself, meaning the school will likely need to re-bid the project.
That's the recommendation given to the Mitchell Board of Education, which will act on the agenda item tonight at 5 p.m., during a regular meeting at the MCTEA building.
Superintendent Joe Graves is recommending the school reject the lone bid and table all other bids.
The lone general construction bid came from Sunkota at a total price of $735,000. Graves said during a March meeting the budget for the project was $700,000 to $750,000, including architectural and construction management costs.
Graves said in the agenda item description that the bid exceeds the budget and he hopes to re-advertise the project and bring back new bids during the July 21 meeting.
The project will be funded from a $1,240,228 grant awarded to Mitchell in February from the Governor's Grants for Career and Technical Education.
MCTEA is a partnership between Mitchell Technical Institute and its parent institution, the Mitchell School District. Students who attend the classes can receive college credits for some institutions such as MTI and Dakota Wesleyan University.
The school board will address the following agenda items:
• Consider approving, on second reading, the regular review of school board policies 1000-1200 and Board Policy 513, regarding first aid and the use of epinephrine auto-injectors.
• Consider approving the Transportation Alternative Program between MTI and the South Dakota Department of Transportation.
• Consider authorizing supplemental budget items from the 2013-14 K-12 school year in areas that overspent or did not have an approved budget last year, totaling $611,430. Those items are being paid for with primarily lease proceeds, local and federal funds and gross receipts.
• Consider a supplemental budget for MTI from the 2014 fiscal year.
• Examining the K-12 budget for the 2014-15 school year for a second time.
• Approving the bid for two basic refrigeration trainers and a gas control demonstrator for the MCTEA Academy. The recommendation is to make the purchases from Hampden Engineering of East Longmeadow, Mass., at a cost of $35,359, which will be covered by a CTE grant from the state of South Dakota.
• Consider the bid for a new gym floor at L.B. Williams elementary school. The bid is $79,000 from School Speciality Inc., of Mansfield, Ohio, and would be similar to the recently installed floor at the high school, replacing the current tile floor.
• Consider approving the purchase of 2,716 yards of carpet for Gertie Belle Rogers and L.B. Williams elementary schools at $28.44 per yard for a cost of $77,243.04.
• Hear board member and superintendent reports and public commentary.