Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Mattress pad catches on fire at Macy's in Sioux Falls

News Mitchell,South Dakota 57301 http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/sites/all/themes/mitchellrepublic_theme/images/social_default_image.png
The Daily Republic
Mattress pad catches on fire at Macy's in Sioux Falls
Mitchell South Dakota 120 South Lawler 57301

SIOUX FALLS (AP) — Officials with the Sioux Falls fire department say a mattress pad that caught on fire at the Macy's store in the city's mall forced the store to close for about an hour.

0 Talk about it

Authorities say Wednesday's blaze started after the material was pushed up against a fluorescent light. No injuries were reported.

Macy's employees initially knocked down the fire using an extinguisher. Firefighters removed the mattress pad from the building and ordered shoppers and employees to evacuate the store.

Large fans were set up to clear the smoke from the building and everyone was allowed back inside about an hour later.

Five fire trucks, two support vehicles and 21 firefighters responded to the scene.

Associated Press
Advertisement
randomness