Johnson submits resignation from Mitchell Board of Education
Mitchell Board of Education Member Rick Johnson has submitted his resignation, Mitchell Superintendent Joe Graves said Friday.
The resignation is effective upon the selection of a replacement, which the school board will start the process of Monday at its regular meeting.
Johnson has not been able to attend school board meetings since suffering a stroke in December. He was elected in June 2013 and is serving the second year of a three-year term.
"I think Rick brought a great vision to the board and really cares about the students, but I'm disappointed because I know he hasn't been able to attend meetings for the last seven or eight months and I know that's been hard," Graves said.
Johnson's wife, Valerie, told The Daily Republic earlier this year that her husband was taking things one day at a time but was unsure if would be able to resume duties as a school board member.
Graves said the letter was received by the school on Wednesday. If the board accepts Johnson's resignation, the district will accept applications for his seat until at 4 p.m. Aug. 20. The board will then likely interview candidates during the Aug. 25 regular board meeting in executive session.
Graves said the replacement process will be similar to what has been used in the past.
"As with any new school board member, we're going to be looking for someone who's willing to put time and effort into the school and the students, and someone who is looking out for the best interest of the community," Graves said. "We're not looking for someone with an axe to grind."