Five to enter MHS Athletic Hall of Fame
The 2014 inductee class for the Mitchell High School/Mitchell Athletic Booster Club Athletic Hall of Fame was announced Wednesday.
Don Barnes, Ken Koop, Jane Buche, Tim Byrd and the 1986 football team are this year's class. The inductees will be recognized during this year's Mitchell High School homecoming week, which is Sept. 29-Oct. 4.
The Hall of Fame banquet is set for 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 4 at the County Fair Banquet Hall in Mitchell.
The inductees will also be recognized at halftime of the homecoming football game against Sioux Falls Roosevelt. The game is at 7 p.m. on Oct. 3.
Inductees this year include:
• Don Barnes -- Barnes graduated in the the Class of 1936 and was a football, basketball and track and field athlete. He went on to play basketball and football at Creighton University.
• Ken Koop -- Koop graduated from Mitchell High School in 1949. He played football, basketball and competed in track and field. After high school, Koop played basketball for Colorado University and coached the sport in the military and on the collegiate and youth levels around the country.
• Jane Buche -- She was a part of the Class of 1976. She competed in basketball and track and field, and went on to play basketball for Black Hills State University. At the time of her high school graduation, Buche held the state long jump record.
• Tim Byrd -- Byrd, a 1985 Mitchell graduate, was a part of the football, basketball and track and field teams for the Kernels. He played football at the University of South Dakota and was an all-state football and basketball player in high school.
• 1986 Mitchell football team -- The 1986 football program was the first to make the state championship game in the DakotaDome in Vermillion. The Kernels won the Eastern South Dakota Conference crown that year, ending the season 11-1 and taking runner-up after falling in the final.