Fire burns storage sheds in rural Mitchell
A fire at 24526 413th Ave. northeast of Mitchell burned two storage sheds to the ground, but no one was injured.
The blaze started around 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Brian Nicholson’s residence in rural Mitchell while he was taking Christmas lights down in his yard.
Nicholson was unsure the cause of the fire, which started in a shed south of his house and eventually spread to connecting shed to the east. Both sheds were deemed total losses.
The Mitchell Fire Division, Alexandria Fire Department, Letcher Fire Department, Hanson County Sheriff’s Department and Hanson County Emergency Management responded.
Hanson County Sheriff’s Deputy Mike Bartlett was one of the first to respond to the scene. He said neighbors were at the residence when he arrived, helping Nicholson pull belongings from the shed.
Bartlett said there were tools and small equipment in the sheds.