Ditch the commute in Platte
By Northern Plains News
Tired of the rat race and the daily commute? Then Platte is the place for you.
The south-central South Dakota area has one of the shortest home-to-work commutes in the country, according to the U.S. Census Bureau — just zero to 10 minutes of windshield time.
Public radio station WNYC in New York this week compiled a map of commuting times based on U.S. Census data for each ZIP code. Marylanders have the longest average commute time at 31.9 minutes. South Dakota has the lowest at 16.7 minutes. The national average, according to the Census Bureau, is 25.4 minutes.
The Platte area ZIP code is 57369.
But even within low-commute-time South Dakota, there is considerable variation. While rural areas often have the shortest commute times, it isn’t necessarily across the board. The Union Center ZIP code area (57787) has one of the longest commute times in South Dakota and the United States at 60-plus minutes. Meanwhile, the White Owl area (57792), just east of Union Center, has one of the shortest commuting times at zero to 10 minutes.
Here are commute times for selected South Dakota ZIP codes:
- Rapid City (57101, 57102, 57103): 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pierre/Ft. Pierre (57501, 57532): 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sioux Falls (57104): 10-15 minutes.
- Sioux Falls (57103, 57105, 57106, 57108, 57110): 15-20 minutes.
- Aberdeen (57401): 10 to 15 minutes.
- Fairview (57027): 35-45 minutes.
- Yankton (57078): 10-15 minutes.
- Fulton (57340) and Letcher (57359): 20 to 25 minutes.
- Spencer (57374): 35-45 minutes.
- Fedora (5733): 0 to 10 minutes.
- Eden (57232): 45-60 minutes.
- Mitchell (57301): 10-15 minutes.