Daily Republic wins 15 AP awards
The Daily Republic received seven first-place awards from the 2014 Associated Press Great Plains News and Photo Contest.
Overall, The Daily Republic received 15 awards in the medium-size newspaper category. The contest was open to 40 Associated Press-member newspapers in three size categories in North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Results were announced Wednesday.
The North Platte, Neb., Telegraph took home 10 awards with no first-place awards, and the Yankton Press and Dakotan took home 19 total awards, with eight first places.
The following is a list of The Daily Republic's awards:
• Photo Feature, Sean Ryan, "Volleyball portrait."
• Photo Sports Action, Sean Ryan, "Powderpuff football celebration."
• Enterprise, Candy DenOuden, "Everybody has more stuff."
• Editorial, Seth Tupper, "Politicians? speeding is not funny post-Janklow."
• Spot News, Chris Mueller, "Woman's body found in rural Chamberlain shed."
• Sports Column, Brooke Cersosimo, "Life's like a marathon."
• Sports Feature, Nick McCutcheon, "Titles up, teams down."
• Photo Feature, Sean Ryan, "Kocmich is player of year."
• Photo General News, Sean Ryan, "Flu shot."
• Photo Spot News, Candy DenOuden, "Get Well Soon raccoon."
• Website, Denise Ross, "The Daily Republic website."
• Feature, Chris Mueller, "SD ag's 'shining star of success.' "
• Photo General News, Sean Ryan, "Mayor at groundbreaking."
• Photo Sports Action, Luke Hagen, "Play at the plate."
• Headlines, Candy DenOuden, Candy DenOuden Headlines.