Catching up: Hieb scores 43 in final collegiate game
In the last game of his college career, Chamberlain native Joe Hieb scored 43 points on 15-19 shooting in Mount Marty's an 84-48 victory over Concordia on Saturday in Yankton. Hieb also added four assists and two rebounds and was 5-of-7 from behind the arc.
The Lancers finish the season 8-21 overall and 4-16 in the conference, two spots shy of making the GPAC playoffs.
- Southwest Minnesota State senior Jordan Miller averaged 11.5 points, eight assists and three rebounds in his last two regular season home games in Marshall, Minn.
The Mustangs split over the weekend as they won the first matchup against Wayne State 87-69 and lost the second game 92-82 to Augustana on SMSU's senior night.
The Mustangs (15-12, 12-8 NSIC) have two regular season games remaining on Friday and Saturday as they travel to St. Paul, Minn., to take on Concordia-St.Paul and Mankato, Minn., for a matchup with Minnesota State-Mankato.
- Winner native Zach Horstman, a sophomore, scored seven points and added one assist in 18 minutes of action for the South Dakota State University men's basketball team in an 82-45 victory over IUPUI Friday at Frost Arena in Brookings.
The Jacks (21-7, 12-3 Summit) tip off again at 7 p.m. on Saturday when they take on Murray State in Murray, Ky.
- White Lake native Ali Haines finished fifth in the triple jump at the South Dakota Twilight meet Friday in Vermillion. Haines, a freshman for the University of South Dakota women's track and field team, placed with a jump of 33-10.75.
- Augustana freshman and Mitchell graduate Justin Greenway finished fourth in the 60-meter dash in the meet with a time of 7.07 seconds, 0.02 seconds shy of third.
Augustana prepares for the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Championships on Feb.22 in Mankato, Minn.
- Finishing seventh in the race was University of South Dakota sophomore sprinter Tad Schuurmans. Schuurmans, a former Bon Homme standout, finished with a time of 7.22 seconds in the 60-meter and also placed sixth in the 200-meter dash with a finish of 23.52 seconds.
Both SDSU and USD will compete again on Friday and Saturday at the Summit League Indoor Championships, which takes place at the DakotaDome in Vermillion.