BACK IN TIME: Methodist Episcopal Church in Canistota
This image is a postcard showing the former Methodist Episcopal Church in Canistota. The postcard is not dated, but it was taken after the church was built in 1896. The men at the side of the building and the children on the steps are not identified. The first Methodist church services at Canistota were conducted in 1883 by the Rev. J.P. Jenkins. The church was organized in 1884, and services were held in a school building until it burned. The C & NW Depot and an unfurnished saloon building were then used for church services until 1886, when the Methodists began meeting at the Presbyterian Church, which they used for several years. Construction on this building began in October 1895 and was completed in 1896 at a cost of $2,000. The Methodist parsonage was built about 1901. The Canistota Methodist and Presbyterian congregations began joint worship services, led by the Rev. Rodney Gist, in January 1966. They were joined by the Methodists from Riverside, a small rural community 7 miles southwest of Canistota, in February 1967. They formally joined in 1969 to become the United Church of Canistota. A new church building was constructed and consecrated in 1971, and the old Methodist Church building was sold at auction and dismantled.