Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

BACK IN TIME: Farwell Methodist Episcopal Church

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts

life Mitchell, 57301

Mitchell South Dakota 120 South Lawler 57301

Pictured is the Farwell Methodist Episcopal Church at its original location in Farwell, 16 miles northeast of Mitchell in Sanborn County. The parsonage is pictured at left. Construction of the church building began in 1908 and was completed in 1909. In 1922, when this photo was taken, the Farwell Methodist Episcopal Church had 83 members, Sunday School enrollment of 70, and 25 members in the Ladies’ Aid. In 1939, denominations merged, “Episcopal” was dropped from the name and the denomination became the Methodist Church. In 1968, the Methodist Church merged with the Evangelical United Brethren Church to form the United Methodist Church. On Oct. 11, 1986, the Farwell United Methodist congregation voted to close the church and transfer the building to the Friends of the Middle Border Museum in Mitchell. The fi nal church service was Oct. 26, 1986. VanderPol House Moving, of Corsica, transported the church building over a span of two days, arriving at the museum grounds on Feb. 19, 1987. Located on the Dakota Wesleyan University campus, the museum is now named the Dakota Discovery Museum. (Photo courtesy of the Archives of the Dakotas Conference of the United Methodist Church, DWU)

Advertisement
Advertisement
0 Talk about it
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness