Area properties gain National Register status
The National Park Service recently approved five South Dakota properties -- including one near Wessington Springs and one in Jones County -- for the National Register of HIstoric Places, the official federal listing of properties important in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering and culture.
In the Hawkeye Valley of the Wessington Hills south of Wessington Springs, Elwood C. Lyle built the Hawkeye Valley Mill in 1894 on land he homesteaded in 1889. Significant to the history of South Dakota agriculture, the structure is a surviving example of power windmills, once common across the Great Plains. It performed tasks like shelling corn, grinding feed and operating small machines for Lyle and his neighbors' farming operations.
The Weigant Barn, built in 1917, is located in rural Jones County. Constructed in a typical balloon-frame style, it stands on the original fieldstone and poured-concrete foundation. Its large size and the use of board-and-batten siding were uncommon during the period. The barn is architecturally significant as a Western Feeder barn in the west river cattle region of South Dakota.
Also listed were Sid's Crown Liquor, Sioux Falls; Texaco Super Service Station, Sioux Falls; and the Scottish Rite Masonic Temple, Yankton.