15 sheep die in Parkston barn fire
PARKSTON — A barn fire late Sunday night killed 15 pregnant ewes northeast of Parkston.
Parkston Fire Chief Todd Lucas said either an electric heat lamp or a water tank heater likely caused the fire.
The fire department was called to William Boddicker’s residence around 10:30 p.m.
“The barn was engulfed by the time we got there,” Lucas said. “We were just trying to save the house and hay in the general area.”
The house went undamaged, he said, because firefighters were able to knock down the fire quickly.
The ewes killed in the fire were part of Boddicker’s overall flock, Lucas said. Boddicker had sheep housed in other outbuildings as well.
The Parkston Fire Department called in the New Elm Colony Fire Department for support. Parkston had two pumper trucks available, but wanted an extra on hand in case, Lucas said.
“They did an excellent job of helping us out. They always do,” he said of New Elm’s firefighters.
The firefighters were on scene for about an hour and a half in the sub-zero temperatures.
“It was not good weather to fight a fire,” he added.